How To Make Tombstones For Halloween On The Cheap
If you don’t want to buy ready made tombstones you can make yourself some real authentic looking ones for a fraction of the cost. It doesn’t take much to turn your yard into an realistic looking graveyard.
One of the ways to get ideas is to do an online search for images of headstones, tombstones or grave markers. This will give you some excellent ideas for the shapes you want to make.
Once you come up with a few shapes you must decide what you want on them. You can let your imagination run wild here. You can amuse visitors to your yard by incorporating old epitaphs on your headstones. Just have some fun as you learn how to make tombstones for Halloween!
Materials you will need:
- Pink Foam Insulation Board
- Caulking Gun
- Liquid Nails
- Band Saw or Jig Saw
- Poster Board or Similar Type Board
- Stencils with Letters, Numbers and Patterns
- Push Pin
- Black Sharpie Pen
- Soldering Iron
- Drywall Compound
- Black Latex Paint
- Flat White Latex Paint
- Paint Roller & Roller Pan
- Paint Brush 2″ to 3″ wide
- Small Paint Brush 1/2″ wide
- Garden Hose with Sprayer
- Make your patterns to your liking on the poster board. Using your stensils, add the names, dates and patterns you want.
- Determine the size of tombstones you want and cut the pink foam insulation board to the size you want. Use 2 same size pieces per each headstone.
- Using your caulking gun, glue the 2 pieces together. Let dry.
- Cut out your basic tombstone shapes using a band saw or jigsaw.
- Lay your pattern on top of the tombstone and transfer your lettering to it using a pushpin. Trace over all the lettering on the tombstone with a Sharpie.
- Using a hot soldering iron, burn into the surface of your lettering and patterns.
- Add cracks in various spots to add an aging effect to the tombstone.
- Make up a batch of “Monster Mud”, using a mixture of the black latex paint and drywall compound. You want a very thick consistency. Brush this all over the tombstone. Let dry.
- Using some of the black paint, paint it into the recesses of the grave marker with a smaller paintbrush.
- Take the tombstone outside and coat the whole thing with your flat white latex paint. Using your garden hose and sprayer, set your spray nozzle to fine mist and hose the whole thing off.
- Let these dry and you will have yourself some professional looking special effects headstones!
If you enjoyed this article-Please Like or Share Below!
Incoming search referrals:
- i want to make tombstone out of poster board easy
Filed under: Indoor and Outdoor Decorating
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!